Do you ever get to the end of your day, and have that feeling like when you get to the end of a page and have no idea what you just read? Our life is made up of our years is made up of our days is made up of our hours. And when we’re not really here - when we’re distracted, frustrated or bored - we’re literally missing it.
So here are 10 ways to get deliberate - to draw ourselves again and again into the present, and move through our days with more purpose.
1. Wake up early, whatever that means to you. Maybe just 10 minutes before your kids get up to have a stretch and a quiet coffee. Maybe early enough to get outdoors and catch the sunrise.
2. Schedule your priorities. It’s too easy to fumble through the day doing the ‘urgent but not important’ things. Schedule the important things. The rest will fit around.
3. Eat without distraction. Even just one meal a day.
4. Find movement you enjoy and do it every day. It’s a privilege, not a punishment.
5. Look for ways to help - a colleague, your mum, a stranger. A kind word or thoughtful action creates ripples and comes back 10 fold.
6. Find 5 minutes each day to stop, close your eyes and take slow steady breaths. It’s like chicken soup for your nervous system.
7. Walk from place to place without your head in your phone. Noticing the environment around us gets us out of our heads and into the world.
8. Carve out time in your week for the people you love. Human connection is THE reason we’re here, and has the most impact on our well-being and longevity. Yep, even more-so than diet.
9. Get good at single-tasking. Genuine multi-taskers are a rarity. See how much you can achieve by just picking one thing at a time and doing it until it’s done.
10. Set an alarm half an hour before bed to switch off your devices and wind down. You’ll prepare your brain for sleep and feel so much calmer for it.
When making any kind of change, forget perfect. Perfection is a mathematical concept, not a human one. Pick the easiest change you can make, and improve it 1% per day until it’s habit. Then pick the next one. And the next. And the next.